Underground and overground – Jamnica Enduro
From the 17th century up until 1994, people in the Mezica district of northern Slovenia, not far from the Austrian town of Bleiburg, were busy blasting tunnels into the adjoining Mount Peca; the mining of zinc and lead was the region’s main source of income. When the mining stopped, a museum was built and tourism took over as the local industry.
There are more than 300 entrances into the mines, and around 1.000 km of underground passages. In some of them it is possible to engage in subterranean hiking, canoeing or even cycling. And those 300 entrances offer mountainbikers something extra: for more than four centuries they were only accessible via narrow footpaths. This large network of tracks lead to isolated farmhouses, numerous tiny chapels, and down into the valleys. These former miners’ paths are now the perfect mountainbiker’s playground…
This seemingly endless network of tracks offers routes of all different levels and characteristics, snaking through the dense, lush, ancient woodland. Popular with the local MTB scene, some are unmodified paths and some include extra features built for the annual enduro races and one of the stages of the Enduro World Series.
Close to where we will be staying, the Koros ecohotel in Jamnica, there is an excellently constructed multilevel singletrack bikepark with lots of routes. Within a circumference of only around 3 km, you can keep yourself busy all day long. As well as the numerous descents, there’s also an uphill singletrack, as an alternative to riding the forestry road. Uphill switchback turns: you’ve got to try it! Take a look at this short clip..
For the underground riding, as a group we can choose between two different routes. One is a conventional ride through the atmospheric former mine tunnels. The alternative is the exceptionally challenging Black Hole Trail. This was created by Anej Strucl and his team at Mountainbike Nomad, the result of a combination of hard manual labour and a number of underground explosions. Working in conjunction with the operators of the mining museum, something new has been created here, something absolutely breathtaking.
We’ll be staying at the Koros ecohotel in Prevalje. The hotel is situated on a hill and offers amazing views of Mount Peca and the Karavanke chain, as well as a sauna, a pool and an enormous garden with an ancient veranda for quality chilling. In the evenings a wide mix of cultures intermingle here, on the wide wooden steps leading up to the hotel. With guests from more than 25 different countries, there’s always an interesting conversation to be had.
For cyclists, there’s a lockable bike room, a bike workshop and a dedicated wash area. So it’s okay to have dirty days.
If you want to avoid having to bring your own bike, it’s possible to rent one from the hotel. Please mention this when booking.
- Day 1: Riding around the singletrack park near our hotel.
- Day 2: Full day riding with minibus support.
- Day 3: Visiting the Flow-Country Trail at Petzen in Austria. In the afternoon a spectacular trail is waiting for you.
- Day 4: Underground riding in an old lead mine and a short ride in the local mountains.
Changes may be influenced by multiple factors such as group riding abilities, weather conditions or the condition of the trails.
- Accommodation in Ecohotel Koros, Jamnica, incl. halfboard. Single supplement € 25,- per night.
- Qualified bike guide(s) from Bike-Nomad for four days
- Shuttle services: Pick-ups, morning transfer and one full day with minibus support
- Underground biking, approx. two hours
- Hald day riding at Petzen Flow-Country Trail
- Personal travel to/from the ecohotel Koros in Jamnica
- Drinks during the evening meal
The four days of the Jamnica Enduro Event will be mainly on trails at difficulty level S1/S2, with a few short sections at S2+. Each day’s ride planning will be constantly adjusted to suit the ability, interests and wishes of the group. If you’re confident on technical routes and enjoy challenging rides, then you’ve struck gold here. That said, the majority of the paths are on simple, flowing forest tracks – very pleasant to ride.
You should be comfortable with daily rides that include a climb of up to 1.000 m and a descent of up to 2.000 m.
The little village of Jamnica is easy accessible by car. If you arrive by public transport we can pick you up at Bleiburg train station in Austria. As the rides start on the day of arrival, we recommend to arrive a day before if you're traveling from far away.
- Wellmaintained mountainbike: enduro full suspension with at least 140 - 160 mm suspension travel
- MTBspecific protective clothing (helmet, eyewear, gloves, knee protectors, other body protectors if available)
- Waterproof gear and multiple changes of clothing
- Rucksack for day rides (drinks bottle, spare inner tube, pump, energy bars, lights for riding on the road, …)
- Appropriate and sufficient spare parts.
Rental bikes (Specialized Stumpjumper/Enduro) are available at the hotel.
A detailed kit list will be provided after booking.
Keine weiteren Termine in diesem Jahr geplant. Für individuelle Termine schreibe eine Mail an firstname.lastname@example.org
Unless otherwise stated, all our trips need to be booked at least two weeks before the day of departure. At that point it will be ascertained whether the minimum number of participants has been reached and the trip is able to take place.