“You never forget how to ride a bike.” True, but mountainbiking is more than just regular cycling. More fun, more intensity, more demanding and more connection with nature. And so, skills training has more significance, in terms of your performance on the trail and how safe you feel.
And this “more” is what we want to help you develop. We use playful teaching and practice sessions directly followed by trail riding to give you a solid grounding in basic technique, so that you feel more secure on your bike – and are able to push things a little harder as a result. All in a totally relaxed atmosphere: two varied afternoons, in a small group of likeminded people. And as a useful sideeffect, you’ll feel safer when riding in busy traffic, too.
You’re a raw beginner, or perhaps have just a little experience of riding on forestry roads? Then Basic Technique is exactly the right course for you. It runs on two consecutive days. We split the course contents over two days in order to give your mind and body time to absorb the material in a relaxed and lasting way.
You are also very welcome with your e-MTB at all our technique courses. There’s no difference for us – everyone needs the basic tools covered.
What you’ll learn
- Basic setting up of saddle and handlebars/controls
- Coordination exercises
- Standard riding position, active riding position and “steering with your eyes”
- Safe and effective braking
- Things to look out for when riding
- Uphill and downhill riding techniques; getting started when riding uphill
- Choosing the correct gear, and changing smoothly
- Steering through tight bends
- Fit enough for a maximum of 200 m of climb per course unit, in addition to the technique exercises.
- Technical difficulty S0 to S1. That means: riding on singletracks without major obstacles and with only moderate uphill or downhill gradients.
- Wellmaintained mountainbike: full suspension or hardtail
- Flat pedals, no clickies
- MTBspecific protective clothing (helmet, eyewear, gloves, knee protectors, other body protectors if available)
- Waterproof gear and multiple changes of clothing
- Rucksack for day rides (drinks bottle, spare inner tube, pump, energy bars, lights for riding on the road, …)
- Appropriate and sufficient spare parts.